What is the California Commercial Recycling Mandate?2017-04-14T17:23:24-07:00
What are recycling requirements for Businesses?2017-04-14T17:22:11-07:00
What are Property Owner’s responsibilities under Authority Ordinances?2017-04-14T17:20:03-07:00
Will Recology Del Norte recycle electronics?2016-11-17T19:55:17-08:00

Never put electronics in your trash or recycling carts or bins, but you can get these collected for no extra charge.  If Recology Del Norte has collected trash from your single-family residence for the past three months, you are eligible for two free bulky item collections each year.   One of those bulky items can be a box of e-wastes (less than 100 pounds) or a television.   Call Recology Del Norte at 464-4181 to schedule your collection.
Even apartments, trailer parks and multi-family complexes are eligible for a limited number of bulky collections.  You may need to make arrangements with your landlord or property manager who will coordinate bulky item collections for your multi-family complex through Recology Del Norte.

How can I recycle electronics in Del Norte as a self-hauler?2016-11-17T19:54:49-08:00

Electronic discards may be recycled daily at the Del Norte County Transfer Station.  Just keep e-waste separated, as electronics are placed in containers separated from other trash. Televisions, computer monitors, and cell phones are accepted for no charge. The minimum charge for up to 40 pounds of e-waste is half of the minimum charge for mixed wastes, though the price per ton is the same.

What should I do with my electronic discards?2016-11-17T19:54:27-08:00

Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle.  You can reduce your generation of e-waste by buying devices that are more durable, or which can be easily repaired.    Reuse still functioning electronic equipment by donating or selling it to someone who can still use it, or by buying used equipment.  Recycle those components that cannot be repaired.

Televisions, Computers and Consumer Electronic Devices (e-waste)2016-11-17T19:53:54-08:00

Electronic product discards, sometimes called ‘e-waste’ can include computers, televisions, VCRs, stereos, copiers, fax machines, printers, electronic games, audio or video equipment,
digital clocks, phones, and most anything with a circuit board in it.  Such e-waste products often contain heavy metals and other materials that make them hazardous, and it is  illegal to dispose of e-waste in trash or recycling carts.

Fluorescent Tubes or Bulbs2016-11-17T19:51:50-08:00

Fluorescent tubes or bulbs from residents are accepted at the Del Norte County Transfer Station at no charge (residential fluorescent bulbs only) seven days a week.  Should you have a break a fluorescent tube or bulb, ventilate the area where the tube or bulb broke for 15 minutes, then wear a dusk mask to clean up the area.  Place broken tubes or bulbs in a paper bag, and keep this separate from your regular garbage.   Please tell the Del Norte County Transfer Station gate attendant if you have fluorescent bulbs, tubes, or a broken fluorescent tube or bulb before disposal.

There is a charge to recycle fluorescent tubes from commercial businesses.   If your business has a large number of fluorescent tubes to dispose or recycle, you may want to order pre-paid mail-back boxes for recycling fluorescent tubes – call the Authority at 465-1100 for more information on these services.

Household Batteries2016-11-17T19:46:17-08:00

All household batteries, including all alkaline, all rechargeable, all carbon-zinc, as well as all button cells, and battery packs from rechargeable devices can now be recycled at two dozen locations in Del Norte County, including the Del Norte County Transfer Station. To store batteries prior to recycling, tape one end of each battery with masking, duct or electrical tape, and keep such household batteries separate from other trash.


Fats, Oils, and Greases2016-11-17T19:44:59-08:00

Food grade fats, oils, and greases may also be recycled at the Del Norte County Transfer Station for no charge.


You can save over 60% the cost to dispose of carpet by following these steps and recycling that carpet and carpet padding at the Del Norte County Transfer Station.  Carpeting must be free from any debris and rolled in manageable sections.  Carpet padding may also be recycled in the carpet recycling trailer.  You will need to be able to carry each roll up a ramp and load the carpet into the carpet recycling container.  Carpet tack strips and linoleum are trash, and must be disposed separately.

For more information, you can see Carpet America Recovery Effort’s website here: httpsss://carpetrecovery.org/california/

Autos & Metals2016-11-17T19:42:33-08:00

Junk Autos may be recycled through A1 Auto Wreckers at 464-7732.

To report an abandoned vehicle, call the Sheriff’s department at 464-4191.  You may also call the code enforcement officer for the County at 464-7254.

Keep your metals separate from your trash, and you can recycle them at the Del Norte County Transfer Station –  saving about 80% of the cost to dispose of those metals as trash!

Paint & Books2018-06-11T23:23:43-07:00

Non-aerosol paints and stains are accepted at the Del Norte County Transfer Station free of charge.  Paints will be accepted only in their original sealed, non-leaking container with the original label.  For a complete list of acceptable materials, click here.


Car Batteries & Antifreeze2016-11-17T19:38:46-08:00

Car batteries and other lead acid batteries are accepted at the Del Norte County Transfer Station free of charge.

Antifreeze (ethylene glycol) is accepted at the Del Norte County Transfer Station free of charge.  Please bring in a sealed container.  Contaminated antifreeze will not be accepted.

Used Motor Oil & Oil Filters2016-11-17T19:39:46-08:00

There are currently five certified oil recycling centers in Del Norte County.  These centers will offer to pay you $0.40 per gallon of uncontaminated oil.  Oil needs to be in sealed containers of not more than five gallons.  For more information on how to recycle your used motor oil, click here. Auto shops, trucking firms, those with farm equipment or other small businesses can now. can bring their containers of uncontaminated used motor oil to the Del Norte County Transfer Station. Transfer station staff will pump and recycle oil in quantities ranging from 15 to 55 gallons for $15.00 per drum. Customers are reminded to follow state laws prohibiting the transportation of more than 55 gallons of used motor oil and to transport the oil securely in non-leaking drums or containers. Hambro WSG staff will perform the pumping service, verify the quantity pumped and return the customer’s container to them. The oil must be free of antifreeze, gasoline, solvents or water.

Used oil filters can be disposed at the Del Norte County Transfer Station  free of charge (for residents only).  Oil filters need to be drained 24 hours.

Separated and Bagged Styrofoam and Packing Peanuts2017-01-26T22:19:52-08:00

These materials are no longer recyclable in Del Norte County, and should be placed in the trash.

Bagged Plastic Bags and Bubble Wrap2017-10-02T20:28:55-07:00

These materials are no longer recyclable in Del Norte County, and should be placed in the trash.

What is the relationship between the Authority and Recology Del Norte, and of the Del Norte County Transfer Station?2016-11-15T22:29:45-08:00

The Authority developed the service standards and request for proposals, procured competitive proposals, and selected and administers the Franchise Collections Agreement with Recology Del Norte to provide trash, recyclables, and brush collection services in Del Norte County.

The Authority and its contractors developed the facility layout, design, and construction of the Del Norte County Transfer Station to replace those services previously offered at the Crescent City Landfill prior to its closure, and to establish a location for additional separation, processing, and recovery of solid waste and recyclables should the laws and regulations for materials management change in future.   The Authority developed the service standards and request for proposals, procured competitive proposals, and selected and administers the Transfer Station Operations Agreement with Hambro/WSG.

How do people get appointed to the Del Norte Solid Waste Task Force?2016-11-15T22:29:40-08:00

Interested persons submit an application to the County Board of Supervisors or City Council to serve as volunteers on the Del Norte Solid Waste Task Force.  All applicants must be approved by a majority vote of the Board of Supervisors, and ratified by a majority vote of the Crescent City Council (or vice versa) and are appointed for terms of five years.

What is the Del Norte Solid Waste Task Force?2016-11-15T22:29:36-08:00

The Del Norte Solid Waste Task Force is a standing advisory group of citizen volunteers, as described under Public Resources Code section 40950, who meet to discuss and advise the Authority Board and CalRecycle regarding strategies, programs, and policy options for the Authority to implement, especially in relation to the Countywide Integrated Waste Management Plan and its elements as amended, implemented, and monitored by the Authority, its staff and contractors.

How do Commissioners of the Authority get elected or appointed?2016-11-15T22:29:32-08:00

Since 1992, the Authority Board has been comprised of five Commissioners.  Two were appointed by the Mayor of Crescent City from among the five elected City Councilpersons, two were appointed by the Chair of the Board of Supervisors from among the five elected County Supervisors, and one was elected by the other four Authority Commissioners.

Starting in December 2011 and through 2012, the Authority Board was comprised of the entire membership of both the Crescent City Council and the Del Norte County Board of Supervisors, with no public member and no stipends paid for service as an Authority Commissioner.   Starting in May 2013,  the Authority Commissioners once again consisted of two City Councilmembers, two County Supervisors, and one public member elected by the other four Authority Commissioners.

The Authority’s Director, legal counsel, and Treasurer serve at the will of the Board under the terms of each of their respective contracts.   The Authority’s Director works with the Del Norte County Personnel Department to hire staff and fill vacant positions.

What does the Authority do?2016-11-15T22:29:28-08:00

The First Amended Joint Powers Agreement adopted in 2012 established the Purpose, composition, organization, powers and functions of the Authority, there are six purposes of the Authority:

  1. Planning, siting, permitting, developing, constructing, maintaining, managing and providing gate attendants for public disposal sites, transfer stations, and/or sanitary landfills, and planning for and securing the services of necessary non-disposal processing facilities or other options related to recovering discarded resources and processing those materials to increase their value; (see Facilities)
  2. Preparing, implementing, and providing related monitoring, reporting, updates and revisions for programs of a Regional Agency Integrated Waste Management Plan as required under the California Integrated Waste Management Act of 1989 as amended (California Public Resources Code commencing with section 40050), including programs related to used motor oil, oil filters, and household hazardous wastes and other materials and products banned from mixed waste disposal;
  3. Defining and monitoring the service standards for collections of discards in the incorporated and unincorporated area of County and the ability to grant franchises for waste hauling and/or collection and processing of mixed recyclable materials, in its discretion; (Recology Del Norte provides services under the Collections Franchise)
  4. Exercising all setting and controls on maximum rates to be charged to the public for discard collections services, and solid waste and recycling services in Del Norte County, and other appropriate powers reasonably necessary to carry out the purpose of this Agreement, including  securing disposal capacity for Del Norte County residents, agencies, and businesses as required under Public Resources Code sections 41701 and 41703;
  5. Developing, adopting, and implementing Ordinances and programs to control and prosecute illegal dumping and blight in Del Norte County associated with solid waste accumulation and storage; and
  6. Post-closure maintenance, monitoring, reporting and remediation related to the Crescent City Landfill as required by relevant Orders from the Regional Water Quality Control Board, North Coast Region, the California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) the North Coast Air Quality Management District.
What is the Mission of the Del Norte Solid Waste Management Authority?2016-11-15T22:28:51-08:00

On 10 September 2014, the Authority Board of Commissioners adopted the following Mission Statement: “The Authority’s Mission is the management of Del Norte County solid waste and recyclable material in an environmentally sound, cost effective, efficient and safe manner while ensuring 100% regulatory compliance with law.” 

What is the Del Norte Solid Waste Management Authority (DNSWMA)?2016-11-15T22:29:12-08:00

It is a rural regional local government agency formed as a joint powers authority by the City of Crescent City and the County of Del Norte to administer and manage all responsibilities for solid waste, recycling, composting, and household hazardous waste facilities, services, and programs throughout Del Norte County.

Go to Top